Since Billy’s burning the candle at three ends these days (woodshedding his guitar parts for Passing Strange, making sure the new album gets done, and directing the highly anticpated new Second City show South Side of Heaven), we thought we’d dig up a choice interview from the early days, when we were gunning for the 2008 Metromix Rock’n’Vote title and Matt Pais stuck a mic in our face for the first time….
1. How do you get pumped up for a show?
We read the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the UK Guardian. Oh, yeah, we also skateboard after we’ve smoked.
2. What superstitions does the band have?
Great Question! We are all superstitious of Republicans, Sam Zell, Rupert Murdoch, and Hillary Clinton.
3. If the band was a superhero, we’d be ___ because …
Colonel Kurtz. Cause he always went out with a bang not a whimper.
4. “Sex and the City: The Movie” comes out this year. Are you more of a Carrie, Samantha, Miranda or Charlotte, and why?
The black one.
5. What would be the best album to mash up with yours?
PE – It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, The Cool Kids – Bakesale out May 20th, or the recorded works of Proust as read by Dennis F’ing Hopper.
6. What Lollapalooza band would be your dream collaborator?
Perry Farrell of Jane’s Addiction, we’d collaborate on throwing a festival where all the good bands don’t play at the exact same time, and the stages aren’t so far you miss everything, and we’d make sure The Cool Kids and Noam Chomsky headline this year and every year from now on.
7. What three musicians, dead or alive, would you want to have dinner with?
Iggy Pop, Iggy Pop, and Iggy Pop.
8. What’s the craziest moment you’ve ever had on stage? Backstage?
One time at an Alicia Keys concert, Alicia invited us backstage to party with her, then she asks Bill, our guitar player, if he’d go out with her, like, long-term, but he’s already got a lady so we just watched CNN and drank her Scotch.
9. If you became a worldwide phenomenon, what’s something you’d want to avoid? What would be the best part?
We are a worldwide phenomenon. The world just doesn’t know it yet. So far the best part is having dinner with Iggy Pop all the time, and working to put Dick Cheney in jail for War Crimes.
10. What’s something the band (or a particular band member) can’t live without?
We can’t live without universal healthcare, Libertarian Socialism, racial equality, or pornography like they used to make in the 1960’s. Unfortunately, however, we are all forced to.
11. Which band member would perform the best on a reality show, and which show would it be?
The black one. He’d be great on that reality TV show Sex and the City.
12. If the band was a dish on “Top Chef,” what would it be and what would Padma and Tom say about it?
We would be greens and candied yams. And Padma would be all “Quit watching television! You’re alive Damnit! Impeach President Bush!” And then Tom would be like “Senator Pelosi we’re talking to you.” And we’d be like “Whoah, good call guys.” And then there’d be this total shout out to everyone in the ASM program at Wendell Phillips High School, Bronzeville U.S.A. and they’d be all “Support Art Education!” And then there’d be a commercial about how Sex and The City just got invaded by this awesome black guy.
Wait, is Top Chef the one where they all have to make enticing dishes out of garbage? No, I remember, that’s the one where they entice the viewer at home to watch garbage. Sorry, never seen it.
13. If you could be the house band for any restaurant in the city, what would it be and why?
Soul Vegetarian East at 203 75th Street. Because they make they best food in Chicago and we don’t mind having bigger thighs than your average indie rocker.